RGBDS v0.3.1 documentation (back)
|RGBFIX(1)||General Commands Manual||RGBFIX(1)|
rgbfixprogram changes headers of Game Boy ROM images. It also performs other correctness operations, such as padding.
Note that options can be abbreviated as long as the abbreviation
--ver is invalid because it
could also be
arguments are as follows:
- Set the Game Boy Color–only flag: 0x143 =
0xC0. If both this and the
-cflag are set, this takes precedence.
- Set the Game Boy Color–compatible flag:
0x143 = 0x80. If both this and the
-Cflag are set,
- Fix certain header values that the Game Boy checks for correctness. Alternatively, intentionally trash these values by writing their binary inverse instead. fix_spec is a string containing any combination of the following characters:
- Set the game ID string (0x13F–0x142) to a given string of exactly 4 characters. If both this and the title are set, the game ID will overwrite the overlapping portion of the title.
- Set the non-Japanese region flag: 0x14A = 1.
- Set the new licensee string (0x144–0x145) to a given string, truncated to at most two characters.
- Set the old licensee code, 0x14B, to a given value from 0 to 0xFF. This value is deprecated and should be set to 0x33 in all new software.
- Set the MBC type, 0x147, to a given value from 0 to 0xFF.
- Set the ROM version, 0x14C, to a given value from 0 to 0xFF.
- Pad the image to a valid size with a given pad value from 0 to 0xFF.
rgbfixwill automatically pick a size from 32 KiB, 64 KiB, 128 KiB, ..., 8192 KiB. The cartridge size byte (0x148) will be changed to reflect this new size.
- Set the RAM size, 0x149, to a given value from 0 to 0xFF.
- Set the SGB flag: 0x146 = 3. This flag will be ignored by the SGB unless the old licensee code is 0x33!
- Set the title string
(0x134–0x143) to a
given string, truncated to at most 16 characters. It is recommended to use
15 characters instead, to avoid clashing with the CGB flag
-C). If both this and the game ID are set, the game ID will overwrite the overlapping portion of the title.
- Print the version of the program and exit.
- Equivalent to
The following will make a plain, non-color Game Boy game without checking for a valid size:
The following will make a SGB-enabled, color-enabled game with a title of “foobar”, and pad it to a valid size. (The Game Boy itself does not use the title, but some emulators or ROM managers do.)
The following will duplicate the header (sans global checksum) of the game “Survival Kids”:
rgbfixwas originally released by Carsten Sørensen as a standalone program called gbfix, and was later packaged in RGBDS by Justin Lloyd. It is now maintained by a number of contributors at https://github.com/gbdev/rgbds.
|December 5, 2019||Linux|